About Joanne StHill
Posts by Joanne StHill:
Student research project – SCIENCE
It is a NESA requirement that all Science students are required to undertake one substantial research project during Stage 5:
The Stage 5 project will be an individual task involving hands-on practical investigation.
Students should choose investigations related to one of the topics they have studied or to an area of interest. They should be encouraged to address problems relevant to their immediate environment and use readily available materials to undertake their investigation at home.
Year 10 students at Dapto High School will be completing their student research project at home over the coming weeks. The project has two components due for submission a scientific report and a film of the experiment. The student research project is a due Friday 16th March 2018.
Students will be receiving a hard copy of their assessment task shortly and digital copies are available via google classroom.
Mrs Sandra Horsley
Head Teacher Science.
Tuesday 30th January – Year 7, 11 and 12 return
Wednesday 31st January – Yr 8, 9, 10 return
Thursday 1st February – Normal school day (Sport Afternoon)
Friday 9th February – Swimming Carnival (notes will be issued from school with details of this day)
Monday 12th February – School photos (envelopes will be issued from school)
Applications for the 2018 University Preparation Program (UPP) are open.
Please see Ms St Hill in the library if you are interested.
This program is designed to support students who have higher education aspirations, but are looking to improve their final HSC marks.
Running weekly across Terms 2 and 3 2018, the program offers students the following benefits:
- Up to 30 hours of free subject-based tutoring sessions with our In2Uni Mentors (who have achieved a Band 5 or higher in that particular subject)
- A guaranteed Admissions interview to UOW*
- Face-to-face and online study skills development
- Assistance completing their Admission interview and UAC online applications
- Mentoring to explore post-high school options, including course options based on Year 12 academic performance
- Mock Interview and Mock Exam Super Study Days- to prepare for the HSC exams and UOW Admissions interviews under accurate conditions
* Students who successfully complete the University Preparation Program, will be eligible to receive a guaranteed admissions Interview with one UOW faculty. This interview will be for a degree determined by UOW, dependant on the student’s academic performance, and may not be for the course/s listed in their Admissions application. Further to the above students who are not meeting the published indicative criteria for courses applied to ,may be at the discretion of UOW faculties, be offered an admissions interview to a UOW Pathways Program in lieu of an admissions interview to a UOW degree.
Days and Times
At the Wollongong Campus, UPP sessions will be offered at the following times:
- Wednesday 1.30 – 3.00pm
- Wednesday 3.30 – 5.00pm
- Thursday 1.30 – 3.00pm
- Free for students who attend an In2Uni sponsored high school
- Free for students who meet equity criteria
Students are invited to apply for this program if they meet the following criteria:
- Completing the HSC or IB in 2018 at a high school in the Illawarra/South East Region
- Academic performance in Year 11 indicates that, at this time, they are unlikely to achieve the results needed to get entry to their preferred post high school study option (university, TAFE, other RTO)
- In order to be eligible to participate in the program, students must be attending an In2Uni sponsored school, OR meet one of the following criteria:
o Completing the HSC in a rural or remote area**
o Identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
o On a permanent humanitarian visa or have refugee status
o Currently experiencing financial hardship, disability/health condition or social disadvantage that have impacted on your studies**
Applications will remain open across the Summer holidays through until Friday 16 February, 2018.
We will be sending details of the application process to all students who have registered interest tomorrow, as we are still waiting for final changes to our website to update overnight.
Project: 400 solar panels for Dapto High School
Donations over $2 are fully tax deductable and spent entirely on this project.
As part of the 60th celebrations, our school has taken on the challenge of raising $55k to install 400 solar panels on the roof of E Block.
Why are we doing this?
To improve the learning outcomes of our students. On some days, students are being taught in classrooms that reach in excess of 40 degrees. The school’s power bills are horrendous. With solar panels on the roof, the school can work towards heating and cooling classrooms in a sustainable manner.
Our time frame: June 2018
We only have a window opportunity of 9 months to take up the NSW Governments generous offer of matching schools $1:$1 to install solar panels on the roof of our school. We need $55k by June 2018. Sustainability
The 400 panels should produce > 60% of our current daily electricity usage. During weekends and holidays, excess power will be sold back to our supplier. Each panel cost $250 and has an estimated productive life of 40 years. Demonstrating a responsible approach to sustainability is a school and community priority.
This is not a dream.
The project has begun, and already over $3,000 has been donated with the total still growing!
We will keep you updated with the progress of the project via the school’s website and newsletter.
Tax Deductible Donations
Donations above $2 are fully tax deductible. This is because your donation will be deposited into the Dapto High School P&C Building Fund. The P&C is very conscious of it’s responsibility of accepting public money and pledges that every donated dollar will be spent entirely on the project. We accept donations from everyone: individuals, families, the wider Dapto community, businesses and clubs. As part of our 60th celebrations we are hoping former students will ‘dig deep’. No donation is too small, or too big!
A list of all donors will be published and invited to a celebration at the official, ‘flicking of the switch’!
You can make your donations by –
1. A cheque to be made payable to:
Dapto High School P&C Building Fund.
Please attach your name/club/business along with your address, so we can ensure you receive your receipt to claim as a tax deduction.
3.Credit Card or Cash
Either phone Dapto High School 02 4261 1416 or visit the front office between 8.30am – 3pm.
2. Direct Deposit to Account
Dapto High School
P&C Building Fund
Account No 10233150 Description
Your Name & Solar (Please contact the school or email
email@example.com with your contact
details so a receipt can be forwarded to you).
REMEMBER: No donation is too small or too big!…….every $ is a step closer to our goal.
If you require any futher information about the project please contact Dapto High School